header and navbar

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Ikea Rast Hack

The Ikea Rast 3-Drawer Chest has to be the most versatile piece of furniture in all of DIY kingdom. The Ikea Rast has been transformed into anything and everything you can think of. Just search "Ikea Rast Hack" on Pinterest and you'll see exactly what I mean.
For my version of the Ikea Rast Hack I decided to upholster the chest with a heavy-duty linen fabric. I've seen upholstered furniture a lot lately and am loving the soft look it brings to a room.
I completed my project by following the simple steps in a DIY video from Martha Stewart called, "Linen-Wrapped Table How-To" instructed by Christophe Pourny.
Step 1: Starch and iron your linen so it's crisp and has no wrinkles.
Step 2: Apply Minwax Gloss Polycrylic Protective Finish to the side of the wood you want to upholster with a paint brush. While still wet, place the linen over the wood board.
Step 3: Iron dry over the linen fabric on the wood board, this permanently adheres the fabric to the Ikea Rast.
Step 4: Cut the corners of linen at 45-degree angle; fold and crease fabric to make the corners even. Apply poly-acrylic finish to edges; iron to keep it in place and trim excess corner fabric with the razor blade. (This was the hardest step for me, watching the Martha Stewart video a few extra times really helped!)
Step 5: Apply topcoat of poly-acrylic finish to the entire Ikea Rast. This is optional but it will protect your fabric from spills or stains with a clear shiny coat. I did not do this step because I like the texture feeling of the linen.
Step 6: Add hardware of your choice. I bought my ring pulls from Lee Valley Tools and my nail heads from a local fabric store.

What's your favorite Ikea hack? Have you tried any yourself?

30 comments:

  1. This is absolutely AMAZING, Kelly!! I love it - you are so creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job! it looks expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my favorite rast hack, I'm doing it! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A seriously gorgeous ikea hack! You are so talented:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my god that is AMAZING! I am completely uncrafty and it is a skill I'm so jealous of. Even if I follow the directions step by step it never turns out right :(

    Thanks for visiting my blog! Love yours!

    xo
    Kara
    www.thebostonista.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog on USA today (twitter account). I have to say I'm impressed! Love the creativity!!

    Maybe you can stop by my blog and give me some pointers?

    http://sparkofglamour.blogspot.com
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would LOVE to know where you got the linen from!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For real.....so amazing! One of my favorite rast hacks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping in from Little Green Notebook. This is GORGEOUS! Maybe my favorite Rast hack ever. I too would love to know where you got the linen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also found via LGN. This is awesome! I did two hacks of the RAST but if my wife sees this it might have to be three.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome!! How many yards of linen did this take??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning! Definitely want to try this!

    Sarah | http://sarahmdorseydesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would also like to know more about the fabric: where you got it and how much you used. A great transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love this! I'm considering doing this this weekend (can't decide if I want to stain and paint my RAST or do this!) - how much fabric did you purchase? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally awesome!!! You really rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. via LGN! i am super impressed, great job! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Saw this on littlegreennotebook...love it!! You've given me inspiration for my daughter's big girl room. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. loved seeing you on LGN! crafty, kelly :) love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi everyone,
    Thanks so much for the sweet comments! I really enjoyed doing this Rast hack and aside from waiting on the hardware to come in the mail it took me about 1 week to complete; I worked on it for 1-2 hours per night. The fabric was from Hancock Fabrics and I used 2.5 yards. It was in the remnant pile and there was no brand on the label. The woman who helped me at the fabric store described it as a "heavy-duty" linen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That helps...that was my next question :-)

      Delete
  20. This is absolutely amazing. Unbelievable how the dresser has been transformed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Saw your project on LGN. I have a Draper-style dresser made of laminate that I've been wanting to cover in either fabric, wallpaper or contact paper. Hadn't heard of using Polycrilic as the glue-like substance. I'll have to check out that Martha video.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is fantastic!! I did a DIY update on a Rast dresser, too, dark brown sides, white drawers, gold handles. I looove those ring pulls, though! Mine's here: http://www.adventuresindressmaking.com/2012/10/weve-painted-lot-of-furniture-lately.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jobs at your Home, Internet Online Jobs like data entry, copy pasting, Form Filling, Facebook Sharing Jobs, Clicking Jobs, Web Surfing, Google Jobs and Much More Earning Systems Online
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, I wish I saw this hack before I just merely painted mine! Amazing job!!!

    xo
    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Kelly,

    I am ordering the RAST, stay tuned for my results :-) Thanks for posting this, following you on Pinterst!

    Kesha

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have my Rasts and supplies, and am buying the fabric tomorrow. So excited! I have a detail question for you... I don't see the bolts that you'd normally see on each side of the Rast. They're covered in linen in your photos, so I'm wondering how you did that. I see that you wrapped the top and drawers first. But did you assemble the unwrapped sides to the wrapped top and bottom, and then put the fabric on the sides afterward?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was wondering how the linen is holding up. Do you open the drawers much, is the material staying put?

    ReplyDelete
  28. What size pulls did you get? I love love love these--great job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I know these dressers from Ikea, I want to do something similar with paint. Which high gloss paints and matte paints would you recommend? Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me! They literally make my day. I read & appreciate them all.