Brass Bench DIY

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Believe it or not, I'm still trying to finish up the furnishings in my bedroom. If I don't find the perfect item I have in my head, I will just try to make it myself. I've been on the look out for a brass bench for beneath my mirror. Thanks to Pinterest, i've become obsessed with them! I couldn't find one anywhere in stores, and online they were all over $1,000. That left me with no choice - Brass Bench DIY.
Here are the photos of my Brass Bench DIY inspiration:
A workshop owner I know, that has given me furniture to re-do in the past, had this orange velvet, Hollywood Regency vintage bench sitting in his yard. It was overgrown by weeds and the fabric was stained and dirty. I saw the clean lines of the metal bench frame and immediately asked him, "How much?" and he helped me load it into the back of my car.
I lucked out and found a faux pebbled leather fabric in the remnant pile at my local fabric store. The grey pebbled leather was unique and for some reason I think it's 'cool' to find a remnant then get a fancy fabric taken down off the display.
The entire project was a complete mess. First of all, the orange velvet fabric was covered in cat hair and I am HIGHLY allergic to cats. So there I was, covered in red hives and sneezing, plucking hundreds of staples out of this orange velvet bench. Not a pretty sight.
After a couple hours (I kid you not) I got all the staples out. I took great pride in throwing that orange velvet in the trash can. 
Next I laid a new layer of foam and batting down for the cushion beneath the pebbled leather fabric. Then it was time for my favorite part - my SharpShooter Plus Heavy-Duty Staple/Nail Gun! Buy one, YOU MUST! I stapled the new fabric down and got all my frustration out that was leftover from plucking and sneezing.
The thing I love the most about this bench is that I can easily re-do this project with new fabric if I ever want to change the look! I LOVE the brass frame but that can always be changed with spray paint. I have a feeling this versatile piece will stay with me for years to come.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. skill!! i love yours better than all the inspiration shots, that pebbled white leather adds the perefct amount of chic.

    PS where are those shoes from?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lauren! :) The shoes are from Nine West! This is my third time seeing pretty shoes, running over to them, and finding out they are Nine West - I'm obsessed lately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun yes sophisticated piece! Perfect choice with the white pebble!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog and projects are wonderful, but I think this one missed the mark a bit. I think it's the lack of the buttons that makes it look a bit like a slip cover.
    I do think that this is a piece that you can change up in the future when you get bored with a certain look.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me! They literally make my day. I read & appreciate them all.

instagram

Facebook

pinterest



Subscribe