Year of the Dragon

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Chinese New Year began on January 23, 2012. THE YEAR OF THE DRAGON! However, no one in my family is a dragon in Chinese Zodiac signs [find yours here] it goes by birth year. I am a snake and the year of the snake is next year, oh well. 

If you are a dragon though this is your year! If you were born in any of these years then you are a dragon 1928, 1940, 1952, 1964, 1978, 1988, 2000, 2012. People who are born in the various years of the dragon are innovative, brave, and passionate. The year of the dragon only comes around every 12 years.

OK blah blah everyone knows that but the interesting thing about this year is the dragon can be either five Chinese elements of Metal, Water, Wood, Fire and Earth. 

This year is the year of the Water Dragon and that only happens EVERY 60 YEARS! Once in a lifetime.



I wish I was in China for the 2012 Lantern Festival that's happening on February 6th. Chinese lanterns are so beautiful, especially when lit at night and floating in the sky. During the day it's all about bright colors, love, and ritualistic activities but at night the sky becomes an ocean of lit lanterns that people wish on and focus on the new year ahead.
The official lantern festival is in China of course but other countries have their own festivals too:
Thailand
Taiwan
Hawaii
images via pinterest

We get so excited for American holidays but pardon me if this blows St. Patricks Day out of the water.


Going to China's Lantern Festival is officially on my Bucket List. 
However, until that happens I'm buying my own lantern to light, wish on, & send off 
on Feb 6th here in my back yard. They come in 10 packs and they're huge! 
Have friends and family over for your own festival at night and light up the sky. 
Click here to buy ---> 10 White Sky Lanterns

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. i like chinese new year because all of our factories are closed which means a break from questions from vendors ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me! They literally make my day. I read & appreciate them all.

instagram

Facebook

pinterest



Subscribe