Let's Hear It For The [Tom] Boy

Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Let's talk about Tomboys for a minute. I've heard it over & over. So what if I still wear my green or white Converse All Stars. I like my camo pants. I like my J.Crew boy's flannel shirts. I like my men's sized watches. I like my "boyfriend" jean shorts [or as my friends call them, my man pants]. Who says girls can't pull it off? I've always been on the conservative side. Like I've mentioned in posts before, ever since high school, I've been dubbed "grandma clothes." Being my Dad's sidekick growing up and the fact that I lived and breathed with a tennis racket in my hand might have done the trick. Don't get me wrong, when the occasion calls for it I love getting dressed up girly style but day-to-day...I'd rather be comfy. It makes me happy to say Tomboy style is making a come back.
Check out this blog for the latest inspiration: Tomboy Style
I love her blog's opening quote: 
"To define a tomboy requires searching far beyond the simple notion of wearing boys clothing. Tomboys have influenced the expanses of popular culture including fashion, film, music, and literature. And although the tomboy is often identified by clothing, what makes her wholly so is an inherent sense of confidence, rebelliousness and adventure."
"People think I'm trying to make a fashion statement because I never wear a bra. It's really that I'm a tomboy at heart."
-Cameron Diaz [Hollywood's favorite tomboy]
"I mean, there’s not much to being an It girl. It’s really quite a depressing title to hold."-Alexa Chung
CG5b8E on Make A Gif, Animated Gifs





My favorite part from his Blue Valentine movie. Listen! But be careful, you might fall in love.

Genuinely,
P.S. Speaking of boys...November is beginning of MOUSTACHE SEASON for the Movember CampaignMovember is responsible for the sprouting of moustaches on thousands of men’s faces, in the US and around the world. With their Mo’s, these men raise vital funds and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and other cancers that affect men. 
Prostate cancer has affected my family personally & I think this is a fun and funky way to raise awareness!
-Fun photos from Movember 2010
-The Movember 2011 Campaign Trailer
Hey boys...time to face the facts:
In 2011, more than 240,000 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer
In 2011, more than 33,000 men will die from prostate cancer
One new prostate cancer case occurs every 2.2 minutes
A man dies from prostate cancer every 15.6 minutes
Prostate cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer in men
The incidence rates are significantly higher in African American men
Prostate cancer is the second-leading cause of cancer death in men
97% of prostate cancer cases occur in men age 50 and older
1 in 6 men will be diagnosed 
with prostate cancer in their lifetime.
1 in 2 men will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime, 1 in 3 women will be.

An estimated 8.7 million adult men over the age of 20 in the US have diabetes- and a third do not know it.
Watch This Video to see how Movember is making an impact on Prostate cancer research

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Great picks girl, & Ryan Gosling is such a cutie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the madewell flats! Have you seen Loeffler Randall's version? And even Steve Madden as a cute leopard one, but these are my favorite!

    ps...thank you for the acai tips :) much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me! They literally make my day. I read & appreciate them all.

instagram

Facebook

pinterest



Subscribe